[off-topic]Re: [Usability]Re: Toolbar editor

Arnaud Charlet wrote:

It's interesting that you choose an IDE as an example, because I think

That's because this is an area I know very well :-)

there's some consensus (well, at least among the usability people I've
spoken to, both in GNOME and at Sun) that IDEs are kind of a special
case-- they're probably one of the few applications where MDI usually
makes more sense than any other window model, for example.

Right, and this is why I find it "funny" at best, or "misguided" at worst
when each time people ask about MDI, then someone on a gtk list answers
that MDI are "bad". Although this may be true in many cases, it is by
no means an absolute rules.

I believe the MDI widget provided in GtkAda 2.0 is a pretty powerful and
flexible one, which allows you to have either floating, or tabbed, or top
level windows, letting the user decided, depending on how they work.

If we've designed this widget, that's because our IDE needs it, based on
user's expectations and requirements.

If you must provide mdi, please stick to tabs. windows inside of windows was one of the worst ideas ever.....

dave