Re: [Usability] Re: [Gphpedit-devel] Pre 0.4.0 release almost ready

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 03:47:45PM +0100, Andy Jeffries wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 15:39, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > >   What do you think about <Alt>+<Left> to folde and <Alt>+<Right> to
> > > unfolde?
> >
> > >From the HIG:
> >
> > "Do not use any of the standard shortcut keys listed in the section
> > called ?Standard Application Shortcut Keys? for your own purposes, even
> > if your application doesn't support those functions. This helps
> > reinforce consistency between all GNOME applications."
> >
> > Table 10.9 lists Alt-Left and Alt-Right as Back and Next, respectively.
> > And wrt Andy's Shift suggestion, though not in the HIG, Metacity does
> > currently use Shift-Alt-(Left|Right|Up|Down) for moving windows between
> > workspaces.
> >
> > How about Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-]?  Or would those be bad for non-US
> > keyboards?  Are separate keybindings necessary, or would a single
> > 'Toggle Folded State' shortcut work?

How about localizing this as a string is?  That seems the simplest solution
to such problems.  If that's not viable, you might try to detect the
keyboard layout.

> It would work, but we also really need a shortcut for Fold/Unfold all.

Alt + the mnemonic for the menu with the item - the mnemonic for the item.

Not everything has to have a shortcut key. Too many of them, especially
with different effects across applications, make them hard to learn and
recall. If it takes too long to recall the shortcut, and maybe even if
it doesn't, you can work faster using menus.

Cheers,
Greg