Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Usability] Evolution 2.0

On 16 Jul 2003, Calum Benson wrote:

> Date: 16 Jul 2003 13:53:00 +0100
> From: Calum Benson <calum benson sun com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Usability] Evolution 2.0
>
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 06:19, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> > See, the thing is, that in our world (which one could argue is more than
> > ideal, because it actually exists), we don't have desks and filing cabinets
> > sitting at the side of the street waiting for us to deposit our mail. Which
> > is rather fortunate, all things considered.
>
> No, but I do have a desk and a filing cabinet full of emails and
> attachments that I've printed out... and there's nothing currently
> resembling a slot in Evolution that I can post emails into anyway, so it
> wouldn't be breaking any existing metaphors :o)
>
> > Please, let's concentrate on making the application as good as it can be,
> > without getting into wishy-washy discussions about irrelevant paradigm
> > shifting.

> Agreed this isn't necessarily the time to discuss it, but "as good as it
> can be" certainly includes "familiar and consistent with other apps on
> the desktop".  My Evo window has a treeview, a list of messages and a
> preview area (I've turned off the crummy shortcut bar).  My Nautilus
> window has a treeview, a list of files and no preview area... hey,
> sounds like we've just solved that long running "how should you preview
> files in nautilus" thread as well :o)

i much prefer that the preview take the space beneath the Treeview
a lot like this

+---------------+
|    |          |
|    |          |
|____|          |
|    |          |
|    |          |
|    |          |
|    |          |
|    |          |
+---------------+

because the shape of portrait page (most images and documents) fits better
into a tall space than a wide space at the bottom like you have in an
email program.  (Gthumb uses this kind of layout but sucks in varous other
ways)
In an email program the "Preview" is not so much a preview as simply an
embedded view that saves you opening a new window.  In a browser the
preview allows me to have reasonably sized thumbnails but
also to see a whole lot more information without having to open a whole
program.

but then i figure you must be joking, because every time the preview thing
comes up i keep pointing out this layout.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/