Re: [Usability] Standardizing Find and Replace windows

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:23:03PM -0400, Dan Zlotnikov wrote:
> My first contribution to the process; please forgive me if I break any
> etiquette rules in this.
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Gregory Merchan wrote:
>
> First of all, textual nitpick: "Options" doesn't clearly describe the
> connection between the search process and said options. I propose "More
> options" or "Additional options," instead.

"Options" troubled me too, but because there are no options always showing
"More" or "Additional" would not be appropriate. Maybe "Options for Find"?
I think I may have another scheme that eliminates the problem, which I'll
post to the list shortly.

> Next, something that's always bothered me about those search windows. Is
> there a situation in which the user would prefer to have no results
> returned, rather than have the search auto-wrap?

If you know what you want is near the end of the document and click rapidly,
you may overshoot it. Also, it's sometimes difficult to tell that the
document has been scrolled back to the top.

> Based on my own experience in searching (ymmv), I propose to have the
> "Wrap around" selection enabled by default.

That seems reasonable.

I wasn't too concerned about the options when I posted, so I didn't set
any particular state.

Cheers,
Greg