Re: [Usability] Standardizing Find and Replace windows

My first contribution to the process; please forgive me if I break any
etiquette rules in this.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Gregory Merchan wrote:

First of all, textual nitpick: "Options" doesn't clearly describe the
connection between the search process and said options. I propose "More
options" or "Additional options," instead.

Next, something that's always bothered me about those search windows. Is
there a situation in which the user would prefer to have no results
returned, rather than have the search auto-wrap?

Based on my own experience in searching (ymmv), I propose to have the
"Wrap around" selection enabled by default.

Scenario: With cursor positioned at line 20 of a text file, the user
initiates a search. The search returns no results from the text below the
cursor, and wraps to a point above the cursor. The user is informed that
there were no matches below line 20 regardless of whether it is done by an
alert popping up or by the search finding a match on line 18.

My $0.02

-Dan