Re: [Usability]Re: A Brief Comparrison of Gnome 2.2 & KDE 3.1

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
Anyway I think UI consistency have to low priority in GNOME. I mean when
Owen thinks merging a 2 line patch is a waste of time. A patch that a
developer have made and submitted in order to fix a toolbar consistency
issue.  Then it do say a lot of how important we consider GUI
consistency to be in GNOME2.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. From my experience as release
coordinator in commercial software projects, I'd say Owen is
right. Introducing changes to the code in a stable branch is
something that should be avoided. The risk of introducing new
bugs and issues is too high for anything but the most serious
errors.

Yes, it may be a 2 line patch, but it should still be tested
with a bunch of supported applications and themes out there.

Yes, UI consistency is important, but everything doesn't have
to be fixed instantly. Waiting five months for this fix would
be ok for many users (me included).

The bug(s) should remain open though, until the next release or
when it is finally fixed. That makes is easier to find the
patches for the impatient.

Anyway, as I'm not yet contributing in any meaningful way to
Gnome, feel free to disregard this if inappropriate.

/Per