Re: [Usability]Re: HIGfing the properties windows

Luca Ferretti wrote:

Il lun, 2003-02-17 alle 11:42, Luca Ferretti ha scritto:
I can try to rearrange some spacing/allignment stuff in the properties
window.

I made a glade plausible final version.

There are some widget rearrangements in 'Basic' and 'Permissions' tabs.
Can anybody review a bit before I implement it?

Thanks.

If the purpose of this re-implementation is to bring the properties window into HIG compliance, then this looks pretty good. In my opinion if someone is going to bother to re-implement this, then i think a critical re-examining of the UI is prudent.

I think that there are some UI issues with the old window that could be improved before it is implemented again. I will give some suggestions just as food for thought.

In the "Basic" tab I think that the Icon for the file should be a button that you click to change the icon just like you do with launchers properties.

The Emblems tab looks pretty good.

The permissions tab has a lot of superfluous information (in my opinion). Is it necessary to show the Text view and Number view of the permissions? I am just not sure what the value of showing this information is. Second, what information does the "Last changed" show? I have been using gnome and linux for a long time and i have no idea what this means! Is it the last time the file permissions where changed? Why is that valuable? I am not trying to be overly critical, i sincerely would like to know.

I am not sure about the value of the Notes tab. Do people use this? Why is it there?

Finally, perhaps there should be a tab to handle file associations built into the properties?

Like i said, this is just food for thought.

john