Re: [Usability]sft+ctl+w v. ctl+q

On 5 Feb 2003, Janne wrote:

> Gnome-terminal (and phoenix, to look further afield) uses ctrl-w as
> close tab as well. If you see ctrl-w more as "close whatever I have in
> front of me", I see no problem with using that as closing tabs until
> there's only one left, at which point the window containing that last
> tab closes as well.

Unless doing things differently is significantly better than copying what
everyone else is doing we should not presume to know better and at least
do what is consistant.

Doing things differently than Mozilla is a really really really awful
idea.  Consistancey, userbase, and it is not just Mozila that does it this
way.

The Gimp was mentioned but it is perfect example of when close all would
be very useful.  I would like to be able to Close All document windows
(but not the toolbox and dialogs) quickly and easily without quitting the
program.

Could we please just fix Nautilus?  The whole notion of Nautilus drawing
the desktop is just a confusing implementation detail the user need not
know about.  In windows explorer you only have close. In most of the
MS Office apps by default you only have close but there is an option to
add in Close All, I would assume that Close All is buried to avoid this
kind of confusion.

Frankly I want to hear what Calum and the Sun People have to say.

Sincerely.

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/