RE: [Usability] Mac-Finder-like keyboard-navigation: Ctrl="and cl ose the current one"

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:53:33 +0100
> From: Murray Cumming Comneon com
> To: horkana maths tcd ie
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: RE: [Usability] Mac-Finder-like keyboard-navigation: Ctrl="and
>     cl ose the current one"
>
> > I get the feeling that Gnome simply cannot please everyone
> > and that different profile schemes will inevitably be needed
> > (pain in the ass to keep well maintained though).
>
> I think the vast majority will just use the defaults, and be quite happy
> with them.

agreed

> > you might be able
> > to decide a reasonable situation in which the old Unix style
> > keybindings could be easily/automatically reenabled (perhaps
> > as an option of the workspace applet).
>
> Yes, I am actually asking to change the default key bindings in Metacity, to
> allow us to use them in Nautilus. If anybody wanted them in Metacity instead
> of having them in Nautilus, he could just change his Metacity configuration.

Yes but changing your configuration in anything more than a very few small
ways is something that only a rare breed of users enjoy doing which is why
differnt profile sets might still be a worthwhile idea (although I do
expect the idea to largely be shot to holes by the people on this list, do
your worst/best!)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/