RE: [Usability] Mac-Finder-like keyboard-navigation: Ctrl="and cl ose the current one"

> > Here's where we decide that ctrl-alt-arrow would be better than
> > shift-alt-arrow for this feature
> >
> http://lists.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2003-November/msg00056.h
> > tml
>
> This is where I disagree :)  Rationale summarised from the
> bug report...

I'm taking my reply off the bug report too. See below.

> - Shift-Alt-arrow is more in keeping with the HIG's (and other
> desktops') definition of what "Shift" is supposed to do-- to
> "extend (or
> reverse) the meaning of an existing shortcut.  Since
> Alt-arrow opens a folder in a new window, Shift-Alt-arrow is
> the perfect candidate for opening the folder and additionally
> closing the old one behind it.
>
> - Shift-Alt-arrow is currently bound to (what I'm guessing
> is) a much less commonly-used feature of metacity... I bet
> most of you probably don't even know what, without trying it :)
>
> - The main argument against Shift-Alt-arrow seems to be "we
> want the same modifier to mean 'close behind us' when
> double-clicking too, but right now shift-doubleclick changes
> the selection".  I fully agree with this goal, but the fact
> that it currently works like this seems very broken, and
> should be irrelevant anyway.  IMHO Shift+doubleclick should
> open all the currently-selected files without changing any
> selection, as it does on Windows and Mac;

on My Windows 2000 it changes the selection. Select several folders.
Shift-double click
the middle one. The selection changes (and Windows 2000 opens all the
selected folders).

I can't think how to do make the first click of a double-click do
something that's not wanted by the double-click, without waiting to
see whether the 2nd click happens. Wouldn't that be unresponsive.

Even if we could do it, wouldn't you find it counterintiutive that one
application (Nautilus) used the same modifier in the same place for 2
completely different things? Shift-click-release-move-click feels too
much like shift-double-click to me.

> what it does now
> seems to serve no useful purpose.  But even if we decide it
> shouldn't do that, surely Shift-Alt-doubleclick could be
> handled differently from Shift-doubleclick anyway?

There is (will be) no Shift-Alt-Doublelclick. I am suggesting
Ctrl="and close the current one, meaning Ctrl-Doubelick to "open and
close the current one", and you are suggesting Shift-Doubleclick instead.

Among other things, that would remove your "shift-doubleclick to open all
selected folders" feature.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net