Re: [Usability]prefs dialog recommendation

Right, well, I'm a doc guy but in truth I do not really feel that the long
dialog explanations issue is a genuine documentation issue.

> ok... the doc guys don't like it. The question is: why?
> And what do you (and the other hig guys) think about this idea?
>
> I think it could be useful for two reasons:
>
> 1. You have a quick explanation of what you can set in the prefs dialog
> without having to run the help browser
> 2. ATM, it is probably the unique help text that is likely to be translated.
>
> Ciao,
> Paolo

I believe that explanatory texts in dialogs and the UI in general are Not a Good
Thing. Reasons:

- Translation issues: English-language original text can expand up to 30% in
some of the different GNOME languages. Even long labels have caused problems for
L10N in the GNOME past. Long dialog explanations cause space constraint
problems. The lengthy explanation of the original text could well end up being
truncated to meaninglessness in translation by the need to fit the script into
the available space.

- Updating issues: Functionality and features change all the time in GNOME. A
long dialog text would inevitably be quickly out-of-date. No-one experiences the
rate of change more directly than the docs people. If developers have to start
going through the same checking and updating cycles as the docsteams, then your
effectiveness as developers will be affected. Adversely.

- Usability issues: The very first time someone sees the long explanation, then
there is some validity for the text. Every time afterwards, and for everyone
else who does not need the text, the long explanation is a distraction.
Distractions are a usability nuisance. The UI is about interaction. Providing
in-situ explanations in the UI dilutes the interactive nature.

- Accessibility issues: the explanatory text will also need to be included as an
ALT text for accessibility use, which will also need to be maintained and
possibly translated.

- Consistency issues: if we start to use long explanations in dialogs, then
there is a risk of statements in different dialogs conflicting with each other.

There are various sub-streams of discussion that you could pursue from each of
the above topic areas, but I don't have the energy right now to go subterranean.
The suggestion for dialog explanations looks like an attempt to fill the void
created by the absence of context-sensitive Help. Rather than embellishing GNOME
dialogs with potentially difficult explanations, a better course would be to
investigate how we can better provide Help to users. In other words, quo vadis
context-sensitive Help?

Pat