[Usability]Re: [Gcm-devel] clipboard manager comments

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 22:13, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> -CUT-

Because it is the #1 feature people have been asking for I will start
the development of a PanelApplet for GNOME Clipboard Manager. For that,
I first have to finish writing a library which one can use to control
GNOME Clipboard Manager from her application. This library will look a
lot like the libxmms library. I am using libxmms as example. If you have
other suggestions (then it's a little bit to late but) let me know.. I
have no experience with stuff like CORBA so if you want me to use that :
help me or contribute it :-).

Once all this is finished the default visibility of the GNOME Clipboard
Manager mainwin UI will be set not-visible. I will include a small
application which uses libgcm to make the mainwin UI visible. And once
all that works and is finished I will start writing a PanelApplet
version of that tool with perhaps some extra functionality. (like, a
small listbox with the collected items on which you can select the item
that you want to use to start pasting -or something like that-)

Another feature that is already finished in cvs is plugin support. This
pluginsupport is used to avoid making bloatware out of something simple
like GNOME Clipboard Manager yet allow programmers to make GNOME
Clipboard Manager a powerful tool for managing selections. For example
converting targets to other types and transferring items over a network
connection to another host running GNOME Clipboard Manager. The
pluginsupport too looks a lot like the one used for xmms. Also because I
used xmms as example.

Most of the HIG (and other) problems Havoc reported are fixed in CVS.

Using the version in CVS it is also not possible to start multiple GNOME
Clipboard Manager sessions per user. This is to protect the user for
making a loop between such applications. (gcm_a and gcm_b would start
looping and fetching each others selection until one exits). Note that
starting another non-GNOME-Clipboard-Manager Clipboard Manager while
GNOME Clipboard Manager is running would cause the same problem.

I am also planning to release a release candidate pretty soon.

Suggestions and/or contributions are welcome.

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc: irc.openprojects.net mailto:me at freax dot org