Re: [Usability]Re: [Gcm-devel] clipboard manager comments

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 09:27:22PM +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
<snip>
> Using the version in CVS it is also not possible to start multiple GNOME
> Clipboard Manager sessions per user. This is to protect the user for
> making a loop between such applications. (gcm_a and gcm_b would start
> looping and fetching each others selection until one exits). Note that
> starting another non-GNOME-Clipboard-Manager Clipboard Manager while
> GNOME Clipboard Manager is running would cause the same problem.
>
> I am also planning to release a release candidate pretty soon.
>

> Suggestions and/or contributions are welcome.

The convention for a unique clipboard is to manage the selection
CLIPBOARD_MANAGER.  The details of this are in the ICCCM. The source
code of xclipboard (kinda), FVWM, Metacity, any xsettings daemon, any
freedesktop.org-compliant system tray (e.g., eggtray), and the
simpleclipbook program (which I showed you) all contain examples of
of selection managers.

(xclipboard's is actually deficient. IIRC, it doesn't send the appropriate
ClientMessage to the root window and doesn't support all required targets.)

simpleclipbook and xclipboard used to correctly interact with each other
and themselves, but the simpleclipbook code was written before Gtk2 stabilized.
For example, it still uses gdk_send_xevent() which is no longer in the API.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan