[Usability]Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox interface

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 06:03, Lee Willis wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 20:00, Jorn Baayen wrote:
>
> > What we need:
> > =============
> > 1. The music library we have now
> > 2. A way to specify what song to play after the current one
> > 3. Playlists (reorderable subsets of the library) [1]
> > 4. A clean way to do this, without awkward views or stuff like that :)
> >
> > What other applications do:
> > ===========================
>
> I'd really like to see Windows Media Player in the list of applications
> you reviewed to get ideas. As a recent first time user of Media Player 9
> (I think it's still in beta) it has a pretty intuitive interface that we
> could probably get some good ideas from ... Most notably it takes a
> "Tree-view" approach to what rhythmbox currently uses separate boxes
> for. It's tree has top levels of:
>
> * Now Playing
> * Artist
> * Album
> * Genre
> * Radio
> * My Playlists
>
> [Or similar - but you get the idea]

Yeah, I looked at this. Forgot to put it in the list though .. but I
think it sucks: Using treeviews is always a pain and with a huuuge tree
you lose overview really quickly. What I love about iTunes and the
current RB is that it's really easy to browse the collection, without
losing overview.
Also organizing stuff is a pain with a tree, how would you add an album
to a playlist? Select album, hold, try to scroll down, and drop it in a
playlist. Yikes.

Cheers
Jorn