Re: [Usability]A Challenge: Describe the GNOME 4.0 interface.

Have you looked into ReiserFS?

<daydream>GNOME 4 will be reoriented around the idea of total filing system
integration. Everything is a file, and you can address a cell in a gnumeric
spreadsheet file like this:

cat ~/Work/finances.gnumeric/cells/a4

We're all using Hans Reisers set theoretic naming scheme of course, so I can
also open up nautilus (or anything else, eg rox) and browse to

/home/mike/[acrobat "business plan" miguel]/sections/4

and see only what's relevant to me.

DCOP and Bonobo are things of the past, IPC is now based around /proc

$ pidof gnumeric
12345
$ echo "Hello World" >/proc/12345/documents/current/cells/a4

and it appears in the spreadsheet.

GUIs are described in an abstract fashion using a representation neutral
format (xml?) that can then be transformed into a block tree that can be
rendered by something akin to Gecko, ie with mixed svg/mathml/xul etc. No
longer are you restricted to "skinning", you can also do things like alter
button order (i personally wouldn't but hey :), create aural interfaces,
experiment with new windowing systems and whatever changes are made to the HIG
can be instantly applied.

GNOME becomes OpenDoc style document centric (maybe :p), and I no longer care
about what Evolution is, or what Abiword is, or what Mozilla is. I create my
own documents to fit the needs of the time, all tied together by a .net style
language-neutral scripting framework.

Wanda the fish will actually have conversations with me.

Gnome apps will be actually written in a high level language [oops, please put
down the gun!]

What else? I dunno, that's all for now I think. Oh yeah, and all this is done
with perfect standardization and interoperability :)

thanks -mike