Re: [Usability]middle button scroll

--- Dave Bordoley <bordoley msu edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 06:04, Joaquin Cuenca Abela
> wrote:
> >
> > Do you think that something like that will be
> useful
> > in gtk+?  I find it quite useful myself, but as
> you
> > may guess you lose the paste of PRIMARY (but I use
> the
> > scroll *A LOT* more than PRIMARY...)
> >

> I find PRIMARY selection to be my most missed
> feature when using
> windows.

Several years ago I used to think like you.  But I
guess that now I've got used to do a CTRL-C/V.  It's
almost so fast as using PRIMARY, you can paste over a
selection and (the most important) I don't lose any
more my copied stuff by accident (it happened to me
1/4 times when I used PRIMARY).

I also find it funny that people ask for changes to
make the scrollbar a little more "Fitt's friendly",
and pass over a change that absolutely crushes in
speed the usability of the scrollbar.

That's like comparing the speed of a Mac menubar and a
pie menu.

Btw, we don't have to lose PRIMARY to have the "anchor
scroll".  We can use CTRL-middle click to put the
anchor, but IMO PRIMARY it's not even worth it.  To me
PRIMARY is just a kind of "hacker easter egg".

> I like the direct manipulation it provides.
> So i wouldn't be in
> favor of this, since it would make gtk apps
> inconsistent with pretty
> much every other unix app that use middle click for
> pasting of primary
> selections.

Time to submit a patch to Qt guys?

Cheers,