Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: [Usability]Galeon feature implementation

mån 2002-11-04 klockan 16.58 skrev Eivind Tagseth:
> > I used to understand the need for, and use, the support of external
> > download managers back in the days when Galeon didn't even have it's own
> > manager and in the early days of the existing manager, when it was
> > buggy.
> > But nowadays it's one of the best download managers I've seen and used,
> > so I fail to see why external support is needed. If you think it lacks
> > something or is buggy in some cases, why not file bug reports against
> > it?
>
> It's not that I personally have any problems with the current Galeon
> download manager, it's just that I recognize that people may have needs
> for download managers that do one thing, and does that really well.
>
> And if anyone actually made a download manager capable to downloading things
> like mms-feeds properly, I'd want galeon to use that.

As someone pointed out, this could be implemented with drag and drop.
But I don't feel strongly about this issue.

> > > You really cannot expect a user to want the mouse scroll to do the same
> > > in galeon as in gnumeric.
> >
> > Gnumeric is obviously a special case, since it displays cells in rows,
> > and not normal text lines. But what's different about, for example,
> > gedit displaying lines of text and galeon displaying lines of text? Why
> > should the user be forced to use different mouse settings in every
> > application?
>
> He shouldn't be forced to of course.  But he should be _able_ to have
> different settings for each application if he chooses to.  Most applications
> are different from each other, and this will make different needs appear.
> I think it's a shame that Gnome 2 does not acknowledge this.

There's no point in having a central place for configuration for certain
preferences, reducing clutter and head ache in all affected
applications, if the preferences are still to be available in each and
every application anyway, resulting in clutter in each and every
application anyway.

For the very few people that care about and cannot stand that they have
the same wheel scrolling in Galeon as in gedit, they can manipulate the
gconf settings. I don't see the need for a UI for this, except the
central one. You're still _able_ to change it if you need it.

Christian