Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: [Usability]Galeon feature implementation

mån 2002-11-04 klockan 16.08 skrev Eivind Tagseth:
> > Why force users to understand that all web browser windows are running
> > under one process and that when they close all web browser windows that
> > they have taken galeon out of memory. I would hope to see galeon avoid
> > netscape's big mistake of having a "quit" menu item as well (even filed
> > a bug). (good link on this
> > http://mpt.phrasewise.com/stories/storyReader$374)
>
> So you're saying that in order to upgrade from Flash 5 to Flash 6, I need
> to install the new plugin and then reboot my computer?  Since there is no
> way to close my application I guess I have no other choice?  And if I log
> on to a web site using secure cookies or HTTP authentication I need to
> reboot my computer to be sure I've really logged out of those services?
> Sounds more and more like windows to me.

I don't think this piece about the "Quit" menu option and mpt's musings
is really on-topic. Not your fault, I know.

> > > d) External Downloader support. Well, we had this until the very last
> > > minute when marco commented it out... I'm not sure there's much of a
> > UI
> > > issue here. It's a matter of some prefs (dirty word, I know) to
> > indicate
> > > whether an external downloader is being used and what it is.
>
> > Whats the benefit? What does this fix? Why add the ui complexity? If
> > there was an actual official gnome downloader, i would expect galeon to
> > automatically use it, but there isn't. If the problem is that the galeon
> > downloader sucks (i'm not saying it does), fix it. I see absolutely no
> > reason for this preference.
>
> Since Galeon's mantra is "The Web, only the web", the download manager is
> really a side step.  There are other projects focusing on "the download
> manager, only the download manager".  Surely, you cannot expect Galeon to
> compete with these?  Galeon would probably be best off removing the download
> manager and _only_ support external managers.  And with the number of
> download managers available out there, do you really think there's one
> ultimate DM among them?  It needs to be configurable.

In my world, "the web" surely includes http downloads...

I used to understand the need for, and use, the support of external
download managers back in the days when Galeon didn't even have it's own
manager and in the early days of the existing manager, when it was
buggy.
But nowadays it's one of the best download managers I've seen and used,
so I fail to see why external support is needed. If you think it lacks
something or is buggy in some cases, why not file bug reports against
it?

> > > h) Gesture support. Not a lot to say here; we need prefs to turn it
> > > on and off.
>
> > uggghhh, added complexity marginal if not negative net gain.
>
> I assume you're not saying that this must be everyone's opinion?  But this
> is a natural plugin candidate of course.

Agreed.

> > > b) Generally unconfigurable behaviour. I'm still unconvinced about
> > > disposing of prefs, especially for highly idiosyncratic things such
> > > as mouse scrolling behaviour. I don't belive there is such a thing as
> >
> > What possible preferences would you really need for mouse scrolling?
> > Anything useful should be a global default anyway.
>
> You really cannot expect a user to want the mouse scroll to do the same
> in galeon as in gnumeric.

Gnumeric is obviously a special case, since it displays cells in rows,
and not normal text lines. But what's different about, for example,
gedit displaying lines of text and galeon displaying lines of text? Why
should the user be forced to use different mouse settings in every
application?

> And a lack of preferences turns them over to linux.  At least they used to.

This is just silly. This is free software, which Windows obviously
isn't. If you don't like it, make it better.

Christian