Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: [Usability]Galeon feature implementation

* Christian Rose <menthos menthos com> [021104 15:29]:
> > Since Galeon's mantra is "The Web, only the web", the download manager is
> > really a side step.  There are other projects focusing on "the download
> > manager, only the download manager".  Surely, you cannot expect Galeon to
> > compete with these?  Galeon would probably be best off removing the download
> > manager and _only_ support external managers.  And with the number of
> > download managers available out there, do you really think there's one
> > ultimate DM among them?  It needs to be configurable.
>
> In my world, "the web" surely includes http downloads...

Sure.  And recursive downloads?  And ftp downloads?  And mms downloads?
Download history?  Put-in-queue for later download?

> I used to understand the need for, and use, the support of external
> download managers back in the days when Galeon didn't even have it's own
> manager and in the early days of the existing manager, when it was
> buggy.
> But nowadays it's one of the best download managers I've seen and used,
> so I fail to see why external support is needed. If you think it lacks
> something or is buggy in some cases, why not file bug reports against
> it?

It's not that I personally have any problems with the current Galeon
download manager, it's just that I recognize that people may have needs
for download managers that do one thing, and does that really well.

And if anyone actually made a download manager capable to downloading things
like mms-feeds properly, I'd want galeon to use that.

> > You really cannot expect a user to want the mouse scroll to do the same
> > in galeon as in gnumeric.
>
> Gnumeric is obviously a special case, since it displays cells in rows,
> and not normal text lines. But what's different about, for example,
> gedit displaying lines of text and galeon displaying lines of text? Why
> should the user be forced to use different mouse settings in every
> application?

He shouldn't be forced to of course.  But he should be _able_ to have
different settings for each application if he chooses to.  Most applications
are different from each other, and this will make different needs appear.
I think it's a shame that Gnome 2 does not acknowledge this.

> > And a lack of preferences turns them over to linux.  At least they used to.
>
> This is just silly. This is free software, which Windows obviously
> isn't. If you don't like it, make it better.

It was intentionally silly.  Sorry about that.

Eivind