Re: [Usability]HIG proposal - "(Modified)"

On Friday 01 November 2002 15:12, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 14:52, bordoley msu edu wrote:
> > 1. Sort of related can we explicitly state that applications that view
> > documents should only place the documents name in the window border and
> > not the whole path. Gedit includes the whole path and it makes the window
> > list useless (i have other reasons I want this change also, based ui
> > methodology, but i think this is actually the strongest reason).
>
> I'll stick in on my list...
>
> > 2. Save icon in the window border might be a really cool idea, especially
> > is you could drag the save icon to a nautilus window to save or save as a
> > document in a different folder. (probably needs some more in depth
> > thought though.)
>
> Yeah, it wasn't an entirely serious proposal, but certainly the idea of
> having a draggable icon somewhere in the window frame that represents
> the current document is something that comes up from time to time.
> OpenWindows did this years ago and it was a popular feature of those
> apps that supported it.

BTW, Mac OS X has something a bit like this - a file-type based icon to the
immediate left of the document name.  When the document is in an unmodified
state it's draggable, and usable like a standard desktop icon.  When you
modify the document it "greys out" and attempts to drag it produce an error
dialog. Though IMHO I don't like the way they implemented it; I think the
metaphor you suggest above is a better one.  Perhaps with an emblem to denote
"modified"?  Heading into dreamland here :-)