Re: [Usability]Re: Accelerator for New Window

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 23:35, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Gtk+ supports keybinding themes.
>
> > [3] Could a mechnism for [2] help users of other systems too, such
> >     as Macintosh, Windows, CDE, OpenWin, etc?
>
> These systems are pretty consistent with each other for common
> keybindings, actually.

One of the one that bites me is that the Sun "move to end of buffer"
keystroke is the same as evolution's "send email now without asking
for  confirmation" binding (control-return).

I imagine that Sun will need to address that :-)

I get bitten by control-w (delete word in Unix since 1981 or so)
closing windows too. (it's delete word in the mozilla URL bar,
and close window if the browser bar doesn't have focus).

> Experienced Unix users are educable to a surprising extent
I count myself as at least a moderately experienced Unix user, too.

It's very easyt to get close to a project, and to forget the user
experience.  Right now for gnome 2 the initial use experience is
still pretty unpleasant I think.  It's getting better fast, but
let's not sweep it under a carpet, or it'll mutate and bite you.

Liam

Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org
Author, Open Source XML Database Toolkit, Wiley August 2000
Co-author: The XML Specification Guide, Wiley 1999; Mastering XML, Sybex 2001