Re: [Usability]Re: Accelerator for New Window

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 11:24, David Moles wrote:
> As an Emacs user, I sympathize, but I don't think that there's any
> way we're going to be able to get keyboard shortcuts that are both
> sensible to the wide universe of non-Emacs users (particularly ex-
> Windows and ex-Mac users) but that also don't conflict with
> popular Emacs keybindings.

Of course, Unix shell users have another set... as do vi users.

The first question to ask is this:
[1] To what extent is it acceptable to disenfranchise Unix programmers
    and experienced Unix users?

    An environment that's hostile to these people may lose
    developers.

[2] How can such users be accommodated?

    For example, loadable key-binding sets?  That can make it hard for
    people staffing help desks or sharing a desktop.

[3] Could a mechnism for [2] help users of other systems too, such
    as Macintosh, Windows, CDE, OpenWin, etc?

Liam

 Just off the top of my head I can come