[Usability]Re: Accelerator for New Window

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 09:40, Justin Davies wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 16:40, Calum Benson wrote:
> > Christian Meyer wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I've added an accelerator for New Window. (it's quite annoying without
> > > it!)
> > > Therefor I also had to change the accel for New Folder to Ctrl-f.
> > > I hope that doesn't conflict with anything else.
> >
> > Hmm... if and when we get Medusa or some other search facility back into
> > Nautilus, Ctrl-F ought to be the shortcut for Edit->Find.  Perhaps
> > something like Shift+Ctrl+N could be used for New Folder instead?
> >

> I think we have to think about what would be used more, requesting a new
> window or find ?  From my experience, I use a shortcut for a new window
> much more than anything else.  And talking about a "find", any reason
> why we can't have a find entry in the nautilus toolbar (ala finder in
> osx 10.2).

OS X uses Shift+Ctrl+N for New Folder and Ctrl+N for New Window.
While my fingers aren't used to it yet (they're still used to
Ctrl+N for New Folder and open-something-if-you-want-a-new-window),
it seems more reasonable than overriding the usual meaning of a key
sequence.

If "find" did The Right Thing, I might use it more often than New
Window. After all, with a new window, you're going to want to *go*
somewhere, aren't you? :) If it was as simple as Ctrl+F -> <type
path with tab completion> <enter>...