Re: [Usability] Re: Decision: instant apply window buttons

Actualy, i have the same problem with the window manager's close button... from doing some tests with g/f and mom, they only use that button if a application is out-of-controll or non understandable... To long have people been warning them that using that button can "Loose all changes, are you sure?!", that mentality is embeded quite deeply into quite a few people.

Now i dont mean to drag up a whole new 2 month long flamewar, but what was so wrong with having a simple "Close" button on the dialog? ;-)

Matthew J. Doller wrote:

in windows, escape is bound to "Cancel" on dialogs, if i remember
correctly.  obviously, since we are discussing instant apply windows,
there is no "Cancel" or "OK", but the "Cancel" mentality would be
there.  i have never pressed escape with the expectation that my changes
in anything would be applied or saved.  Escape is a kind of "Whoops"
key.

is there any kind of usability lost by adding a "Done" button in the
dialogs?

matt