Re: [Usability] key for Window-op menu

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 03:53, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 05:51:50AM -0500, P G wrote:
> >
> > Many window managers, including GNOME-compliant ones, provide the same
> > kind of menu.  For example, Sawfish does.  It would be nice to have
> > standard keyboard access to it.  It's unfortunate that Alt-Space is
> > already used for "Delete all whitespace around cursor, reinsert single
> > space".  That would have been intuitive for Windoze converts.
>
> Pick another modifier for emacs. Mine works fine with Meta.
>
> > I don't know where that use of Alt-Space came from, but I supose it's
> > also standard.  Which standard should give way?  What should be the
> > new key sequence?
>
> Alt+Space is from the IBM Common User Access guidelines. Emacs is far
> more pliant than most people, and Meta+Space already works there so it
> will give.  (I love that tone. ;-)

It would help if it was easier to separate Alt from Meta on a standard
keyboard. :) I've tried various schemes with xkeycaps to try to get
Left-Alt and Right-Alt to behave differently, or to use these (otherwise
useless) "Windows" keys as Meta, but nothing works consistently...
I suspect because applications are inconsistent in how they interpret
the keysyms.