[Usability] key for Window-op menu

Windoze provides easy keyboard manipulation of windows via the Window Operations
Menu (or whatever M$ calls it).  For example, maximizing a window requires three
keystrokes: Alt-Space, X.  It's very convenient and avoids fiddling with the mouse.

Many window managers, including GNOME-compliant ones, provide the same kind of
menu.  For example, Sawfish does.  It would be nice to have stancard keyboard
access to it.  It's unfortunate that Alt-Space is already used for "Delete all
whitespace around cursor, reinsert single space".  That would have been intuitive
for Windoze converts.

I don't know where that use of Alt-Space came from, but I supose it's also
standard.  Which standard should give way?  What should be the new key sequence?

I also think there should be standard keyboard shortcuts for each window operation
(maximize, iconize, etc), but that is a separate point.  In some window managers
there are many operations, and we run out of modifier keys sequences;  the menu is
necessary.

Philip

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup