Re: [Usability] Shift-Del, Shift-Ins

P G wrote:
Hi again!

Shift-Del and -Ins are standard Windoze key sequences for Cut and Paste. I know people who are used to using these, rather than C-x, C-v. I am one of those, and it's quite frustrating when they don't work: a couple of Shift-Ins attempts to paste yield nothing; I try C-v a couple of times, only to remember that Shift-Del deletes but doesn't copy to the clipboard; with anxiety now, I try Undo, then C-x; if Undo is not implemented it's even worse.

Shift-ins and similar shortcuts are not standard. They were in DOS and
Win 3.1 applications.

Java designers refused to make Shift-ins etc. shortcuts. So sentence
"in windows it's standard" is simply not true -- I use lots of Java apps
on Windows at work, and in none of them Shift-ins works. Sadly I can't find a link to text that says why Java decided not to implement these shortcuts.

Shift-ins of course is the only way to paste into terminal with keyboard (if you don't count Shift-F10 P, i.e. a function from popup menu).

--
Gediminas