[Usability] Shift-Del, Shift-Ins

Hi again!

Shift-Del and -Ins are standard Windoze key sequences for Cut and Paste.  I know
people who are used to using these, rather than C-x, C-v.  I am one of those, and
it's quite frustrating when they don't work:  a couple of Shift-Ins attempts to
paste yield nothing; I try C-v a couple of times, only to remember that Shift-Del
deletes but doesn't copy to the clipboard;  with anxiety now, I try Undo, then
C-x;  if Undo is not implemented it's even worse.

Secondly, these key sequences are a way to cut and paste using just the Right Hand
Side of the keyboard.  This means greater accessibility, for example for users
with disabilities, and for anyone navigating with the keyboard's Right Hand Side
(arrow keys, Home, End, PageUp, PageDown, Modifier keys).

So, I'd like to suggest an addition to

  the Human Interface Guide,
    Chapter "User Input"
      Section "Keyboard Interaction",
        Table 6, "Standard GNOME application shortcut keys and access keys - Edit
menu":

Function | Shortcut  | Description
---------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------
Cut      | Shift-Del | If the selected area is editable,
         |           |     cut it and store it in the clipboard
         |           | else
         |           |     copy it into the clipboard
Paste    | Shift-Ins | Paste contents of clipboard at cursor position

This is an extention to the starnard Shift-Del functionality.  It lets the user
use the same sequence to copy from a browser selection, for example.  The
association in teh user's mind would then be 'same as Cut, but for non-editable
text'.

What are your opinions?

Philip

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup