Re: [Usability]Window managers -- what constitutes crack?

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 12:18, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Josh Hoyt <joshhoyt yahoo com> writes:
> > In my transition to Gnome2, my last holdout is sticking with sawfish
> > instead of metacity because of one feature. That feature is a
> > keybinding for packing windows. Manually positioning windows is
> > tedious, and it's hard to position them so they exactly line up.
> >
> > Is my desire for this feature the result of too many long years of
> > over-configurability, or is it a resonable thing for a window manager
> > to do?
>
> I don't think it's totally crazy. I would not personally know what
> algorithm to use though, I don't use this feature, so I probably won't
> implement it. Maybe someone else will.
>
> Try holding down "shift" while moving windows in metacity, that makes
> them pretty easy to line up.
>
> I'm not the kind of person who gets annoyed at 1-pixel gaps between my
> windows - I think it might indicate a rather over-orderly
> personality. ;-)

A little resistance (or gravity, though I think resistance causes fewer
problems) entering other window borders (or the panel edges) when
resizing or moving Metacity windows would probably be a good thing
overall, and would help with Josh's problem (though it might not be as
convenient as automatic packing, it makes it easy to get perfect edges).

-Seth