[Usability]Re: Window managers -- what constitutes crack?

Josh Hoyt wrote:

In my transition to Gnome2, my last holdout is sticking with sawfish
instead of metacity because of one feature. That feature is a
keybinding for packing windows. Manually positioning windows is
tedious, and it's hard to position them so they exactly line up.

There's that, and then there's the ability to move windows by N pixels up/down/left/right, and the ability to grow/shrink windows by N pixels. There are a *lot* of these keyboard-binding features used in sawfish that would have to be re-implemented in metacity.

But why go and re-implement all this functionality in a new window manager? If sawfish has too many options, why not just remove some of the options? From an engineering standpoint, it makes a lot more sense than implementing a whole new window manager, doesn't it?

IMHO, sawfish has a whole lot going for it (like lisp extensibility and flexibility) that makes it very nice system as a whole, and very easy to extend and engineer. I don't see the point of redoing all this from scratch, in C, in a new window manager.