Re: [Usability] My take on Nautilus must-fix proposal

On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 23:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Luis Villa <louie ximian com> writes:
> > <ximian hat=off>
> > Totally my personal opinion: the problem that every single user I've
> > ever spoken to is that even on extremely fast machines it takes 15-30
> > seconds to open new windows in nautilus. If that problem is not solved,
> > no amount of other work is going to people* use it. Tabbing or other
> > tweaks once the window is open are not the problem- it's startup speed,
> > startup speed, startup speed. That window opening is /slower/ in 1.0.5

Time for some numbers...

On my admittedly underpowered Pentium 166MHz with 64MB of RAM, running
nautilus-1.0.4-ximian under gnome 1.4, these are the results I get:

Nautilus:

First Nautilus Window:	10s
Second Nautilus Window:	 6s
Changing directories:	 4s (even with 300+ files in the directory)

galeon with local html files:

First galeon Window:	12s
Second galeon Window:	 5s
New galeon tab:		1-2s

I don't mind waiting 10 seconds for the first window if I know that
subsequent browsing (file or web) will be fast.  So, to me, the startup
speed is less of an issue.

How many directories do most people usually have open (in
nautilus/gmc/terminal/whatever)?  I would guess that it's more than
one...

  --Alex