Re: [Usability] My take on Nautilus must-fix proposal

On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 22:35, Alex Barnes wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 19:03, Adam Elman wrote:
> > Folks --
> >
> > At the GUP meeting a week ago, I promised to write up my take on the
> > Nautilus must-fix list and suggest which issues I think should be
> [snip]
>
> Is the speed issue on the must-fix list?  Something like a server mode
> and/or tabbed file browsing (like web browsing in galeon) might go a
> long way to improve the perceived speed of nautilus.

<ximian hat=off>
Totally my personal opinion: the problem that every single user I've
ever spoken to is that even on extremely fast machines it takes 15-30
seconds to open new windows in nautilus. If that problem is not solved,
no amount of other work is going to people* use it. Tabbing or other
tweaks once the window is open are not the problem- it's startup speed,
startup speed, startup speed. That window opening is /slower/ in 1.0.5
is a /huge/ usability regression that I can't believe people here
(*cough*seth*cough*) did not make a huge stink about. Once this problem
is solved, a lot more hackers will use nautilus; a lot more normal
people will use nautilus; and it'll start to get a lot more usable
overall.
</>

Luis

*OK, the subset of people who are even vaguely comfortable with
terminals. But that is still most Linux users; more importantly, the
hackers who might make the rest of Nautilus more usable also fall into
this category.