Re: Accelerator and terminology guides?

liam holoweb net (2001-06-27 at 1927.54 -0400):
> > http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/students/mrogers/standard-keys.html
> At the very least, note that many of these conflict with
> emacs, vi and shell bindings, so that if you type in a wrong
> window by mistake there's a chance of catastrophe.

UUmm, yes, but I guess the approach is to nuke old apps from the face
of planet. Specially shells.

> I think that abandoning 20 years of Unix keybindings is risky, not because
> they are enshrined in gold, but because
> (1) we have a lot of Unix programs depending on them
>     for example, text fields use many of these keybindings, both in
>     gnome and in other toolkits

Yep, but I guess that would end.

> (2) disenfranchising existing unix users isn't wise yet.

Unix users do not use GNOME. /me runs

> (3) why should clicking in a text field and typing ^A do something
>     completely and bewilderingly different than typing ^a if you missed the
>     text field by one pixel?  Are you trying to give users nightmares? :-)

Yes. :]

> I have no interest in hearing, this is what Windows and the Mac do -- the
> Mac doesn't use control for this, and Windows is a differnt evironment.
> It's easy to see that if you use ALT instead, these conflicts go away.

Mac uses Cmd, which has the same place than Alt, IIRC, leaving Ctrl
alone. The reason to use Ctrl seems to be that Alt allows fast access
to menus. I discovered today that F10 opens NS menus (and then I have
to stomp arrow keys a bit, not very fast, indeed). If Alt would be
used for shortcuts, and a fast way to open menus is discovered, I will
be happy too.

Now I am confused. GNOME tries to be Unix, tries to be Windows, tries
to be a small being that stoles pants.... ?:-/

GSR