Re: New menu standard

liam holoweb net (2001-06-03 at 1829.08 -0400):
> There are still Unix systems taht have a 14-char limit on filenames, but
> I don't think those systems are running Gnome today.  Someone correct
> me if I am mistaken here.

You are right. Now GNOME should run too in machines with 8MB of disk
space. ;P

> setenv is not POSIX; POSIX has putenv that can only add to the list, not
> change an existing variable.

Copy & paste from man putenv:

       The  putenv()  function adds or changes the value of envi-
       ronment variables.  The argument string  is  of  the  form
       name=value.   If  name does not already exist in the envi-
       ronment, then string is added to the environment.  If name
       does  exist,  then the value of name in the environment is
       changed to value.  The string pointed to by string becomes
       part  of  the  environment, so altering the string changes
       the environment.

> >> And if XML is too hard to use from shell scripts, let's fix that.
> > How? /me wants to know how to handle XML with sh. :]
> Accessing an env var isn't automatically easy either.
>     export MENU
> now what are you going to do? :-)

The use of a env var was for DESKTOP_FILES_PATH. So .dekstop files are
searched and loaded based in that, like binaries are used by shells.
And things like PAM or init scripts can change it as needed, ie.

.desktop file format will stay as is, it seems.

> We write a program to access XMl from teh shell, of course, e.g. with libxml.

I hope that.

GSR