Re: New menu standard

liam holoweb net (2001-06-03 at 1601.38 -0400):
> > We talked about it in IRC, a env var seemed to be accepted.
> How much memory is it going to add to every process every user runs?

The size of the env var? Doing a set | wc I get less than 4000 chars,
and I have some big vars, like PS1 or LS_COLORS that most people will
never have. I guess it will require some extra space to handle the
env, but not much, aka the same than having the XML loaded as some
type of logical construct.

Anyway, if people is unhappy about it, do some profiling, that way we
will discover what wastes RAM and CPU.

> And, why is this IPC mechanism needed?

So there is a way to locate desktop file containers. Like PATH is used
to locate executables (locate as in find the file to do the fork and
exec, not as locate(1)).

> I don't see how it's easier to insert into an environment variable
> than into a file... (and is it possible to change env vars on all
> platofrms, e.v. ones without "setenv()" in C?)

Maybe we should go back to 8.3 names too. ;]

My setenv man page says BSD4.3, dunno if it is POSIX. getenv is listed
as SVID 3, POSIX, BSD 4.3, ISO 9899, putenv as SVID 3, POSIX, BSD 4.3.

> And if XML is too hard to use from shell scripts, let's fix that.

How? /me wants to know how to handle XML with sh. :]

GSR