Re: [Usability] Disclosure triangles

George wrote:

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 05:44:06AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

This paradigm was used extensively in Sun's open look desktop -- a dialogue
box would have a button amrked "+", and if you pressed it, the dialogue
would grow smoothly to show more controls.  These controls were usually
for settings that most people wouldn't need, or that would be only
occasiobnally needed compared to the others.

A couple of people on IRC have mentioned the Windows-style "More >>"
buttons, which would be regarded as disclosure buttons (without the elegance
and lack of self-documentation that the triangle presents).

While I can't argue on the 'elegance', I could argue on the
'self-documentation' aspect.  I find it easier to understand a "More >>"
button.  Since it's a button, so I know I can press it.  And it says it will
give me "More" things.  The only reason I think a triangle can give me more
things is that I got used to triangles from tree widgets (which are not
really common).

In any case, as far as I've seen, the triangle thingies have no raised border
and so it doesn't look to me like something I could click anyway.  I suppose
it has the problem of the 'flat' toolbars.  It looks much nicer, but you lose
some intuitiveness.

On that note, perhaps disclosure triangles should always have a label. :)

If there would be no label, I would have no clue I would even want to click
on one.  I think it would be horrible without a label.

Jimbob and I use:

> More Information

and

\/ Less Information