Re: Menu guidelines updated

At 2:19 PM +0200 8/22/01, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
Christian,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Christian Rose wrote:

 I think forcing the use of the window manager for exiting an application
 is a step down with regard to accessability. It's easier to navigate in
 menus with the keyboard than use the mouse for some people.
 Yes, you can use a window manager shortcut for closing a window, but I
 don't think that's as obvious as a simple Exit menu entry in the
 application.

Well, couldn't you still press Alt and select 'Close' from the titlebar
menu (under the leftmost titlebar button)? That has the same effect.

As Christian said: this is highly dependent on the WM you're using and the theme you use in that WM. (I would also argue that pressing Alt and clicking on a window is hardly an easily discoverable function, especially on a system with multiple mouse buttons where you almost never have to press a modifier key, but that's a side issue. :)

There are two ways to go, it seems. One would be to somehow standardize the WM and theme so that everybody has the same menu controls and we can depend on that. I think that would be considered highly undesirable by the community, so we're left with option 2: make some basic rules about what the window manager should and shouldn't do, but then not assume that any particular control, particularly Quit/Exit/whatever, is easily accessible on the title bar/window controls.

Adam