Re: Menu guidelines updated

At 10:08 PM +0100 8/21/01, colin z robertson wrote:
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 05:04:55PM -0700, Adam Elman wrote:
[...]
 > But if you always have the Quit command
 > under the File menu, you don't want it to go away either.  It's a
 > catch-22.

 I can think of two ways to fix this in the long-term (I'm sure there
 are many others):
 1) Go the MacOS X route and add a window which is named with the name
 of the current application; this menu would always contain the
 "About..." dialog, the "Preferences..." option, and "Quit"; possibly
 other standard application functions as well (although I'm not sure
 what).  Apple also puts the "Hide" options that used to be under the
 app menu here, but I don't like that (and I'm not sure it'd work
 without significant WM modification anyway).  I like this option, as
 it also solves the "Edit -> Preferences..." vs. "Tools -> Options..."
 problem.

Yeah, this is quite nice. One problem though: MacOS has a much larger
menu bar than is available to most apps in X, since in MacOS it goes
across the whole screen, while in X it is generally confined to the
window. OTOH, if it got rid of the Options menu...

Right, that's kinda what I was thinking. The "Options" menu tends to be a big mess in most GNOME apps that I've seen anyway; I frequently have to pick a bunch of different items to find the one that contains the setting I was looking for. Better just to have all the settings and preferences in one or two dialogs (I'll let somebody else make the case for "Settings" vs. "Preferences" at the moment :)

 > >I'm actually a bit unsure about this whole thing. Should we deny the
 > >user the user the ability to have the same file open in two seperate
 >windows?

 > Yes, I think we should, at least through this means.

[...]

Well, I'm not thinking about views here. I'm thinking about having the
document open in two entirely independant windows, as if the app had
no knowledge that they were the same file.

Why is that ever a good idea? IMHO the app should _always_ be aware if it has the same file open in two windows.

I guess I can imagine one or two hypothetical circumstances where this might be a desirable behavior, but it is VASTLY more likely that the user, when opening a file which is already open, would simply prefer to see the existing window, or would prefer to have an _explicit_ way to open another view on the same file.

The two models I have here are a basic editor, which generally does the former -- one window = one document, and you can't have the same document open twice, and Emacs, which does the latter -- separating internal buffers from the actual visual representation. It's often very useful in development to have the same buffer open in two different windows -- however, it is useful because Emacs automatically and immediately reflects changes from one window in any other windows on that buffer.

Having two windows open on the same file in the same app with the app having no apparent knowledge that the two files are the same just seems like a recipe for confusion and possibly disaster.

[Recent file opening]
 > >I'm not discouraging it. I'm encouraging a better way of doing it. You
 >can fit more items into a submenu.

 Yes, although submenus are much more annoying/difficult to navigate
 than single menus.  Which is not to say that I disagree with you, but
 I don't think that "you can fit more items" is a sufficient reason to
 use a submenu in and of itself.

Granted, it's harder to navigate a submenu than a top-level menu...
but it's a lot easier than navigating a file dialog. The Open Recent
menu is there for the purpose of reducing the amount of work that the
user has to do, so I figure it's mostly a question of what results in
the minimum amount of work. I think an extra ten items in the Open
Recent menu at the cost of some slightly fancier mouse-work and a bit
more scanning is probably a big win.

Well, it depends on how many different files you tend to open. If you tend to work on about four or five files frequently in an app over some period of time, then the submenu brings basically no advantage. If you tend to work on 5-10 different files, then having a submenu _might_ be a win. Again, I don't totally disagree with you, but I definitely question your assumptions on this.

At some number of files, of course, you hit the point of diminishing returns and you're better off just having a good file navigation/management system and letting the user go through that way.

I've just realised that this raises the question of what order the
items should be in. For a short history (five items or so) you'd
probably want the items to be ordered from most recently used to least
recently used, but for a long history (ten or more items) you'd want
them to be in alphabetical order.

Yep. This is also tricky -- you don't want things jumping around the menus all the time. These might be good rules of thumb, though.

Adam