Re: ImportError when running the python demo

Hi Loic,

I just tried to run the python as per instruction on a Ubuntu Gutsy box.
The build procees (trunk and v0.0.9) is going smoothly both for the
python part and the library. But when I want to run the demo I have
the following error:

 python tinymail-python-test.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "tinymail-python-test.py", line 4, in <module>
   import tinymail
 File
"/opt/tinymail/lib/python2.5/site-packages/tinymail-1.0/tinymail/__init__.py",
line 13, in <module>
   from _tinymail import *
ImportError:
/opt/tinymail/lib/python2.5/site-packages/tinymail-1.0/tinymail/_tinymail.so:
undefined symbol: pytinymail_add_constants

Looking at changeset 2698 -
http://www.tinymail.org/trac/tinymail/changeset/2698 - I found that
the pytinymail_add_constants was commented before, so I tried
commenting but then I got an error with the ui module.

Doing export
LD_RUN_DIR=/opt/tinymail/lib/python2.5/site-packages/tinymail-1.0/tinymail
did not help (as this was a message given during the build).

I welcome your help...

I have updated the python bindings in tinymail trunk. (Change 3695) Previous to this change the bindings will have been non-functional due to changes in gtk-codegen and the tinymail interface. I apologize for not keeping the bindings up-to-date, especially before a release.

The symbol pytinymail_add_constants should be auto-generated by the GObject tools. As its missing in the 0.0.9 release I can only assume that there was something wrong with the tinymail.defs files. I haven't investigated fully.

As I mentioned in the previous e-mail, there is still a-lot of work that needs to be done on the bindings, and this work will have to take place alongside the client development.

I'm very busy with other projects at the moment, but will have the time to help out. Fortunately Shikhar has also been in touch regarding a tinymail XO client, and hopefully he'll also be willing to contribute.

As mentioned in my previous e-mail the tinymail wiki has a detailed description of what still needs finishing. Any questions or issues, please get in touch. (For a quicker response grab me on IRC #tinymail)

Thanks

Mark

--
Mark Doffman, Codethink Ltd. -  http://codethink.co.uk