RE: Mime part viewers, support for PGP, ICS files and others

Hi Philip,

[...]

I like the idea - it just seems the right thing to do. There are
some "real world imperfections" that should be addressed in the
design though:

- there won't be a nice 1:1 correspondence between MIME-type and
  viewer in all cases.
	1) user preference (view pics inline or as attachment)
	2) wrong MIME-type (ie. application/octet-stream for just
         about any file-type when some versions of Outlook
         send it.
    	3) (less important) many MIME-types can be represented
          as a other types just for viewing; ie. many file types can
         be represented as images (inkscape, thumbnails of jpg,
         pdf, video etc.)

So I guess it would be good to have a way for the model to provide
the MIME-type, which is a function of the explicit MIME-type of
the MIME-part, user preference, and some 'special code' to make
intelligent decisions. Also, in the view there should be a way
to apply user preferences.

Best wishes,
Dirk.