Re: [system-tools] removing the "more/fewer options" button

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 22:04 +0000, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> Hi!
>

> > > I usually don't use the advanced mode, and people I have seen don't do
> > > it also. I think that the point is to think how many times you use the
> > > advanced configuration and if it is less that 10%, it is good to have
> > > all this options hided.
> >
> > I agree that there are several options that should be hidden (if you
> > need to touch them, they're so advanced you won't mind to edit some text
> > files, but you're clearly a side case, i.e.: advanced PPP options) but
> > there are some things that aren't shown in the basic mode that I'd like
> > to keep, like:
> >
> > - groups editing in the users tool
> > - several runlevels editing in services tool
> > - service priorities in SystemV based distros (I'd like to remove this,
> > but until we find a way to guess it, it should be shown)
> >
> > maybe we should mix basic and advanced mode before hiding the button?
> >

> Hiding the button or removing it? In the mix, will be removed some
> features?

Sorry, I meant removing the button, this means that the features will
not be hidden, but removed, so we'd have to think

1) whether we want to remove this button
2) whether we want to keep all the features

Mi opinions are to remove the button (it clutters the UI while it's not
a commonly used feature; I've already got help docs, they're waiting to
be commited; the basic and advanced UIs don't differ too much; etc...)
and the only option that I could remove is the advanced PPP stuff, such
as PPPD options (it's a hell to port to other distros, it's almost no
used, and the people that wants to play with this surely won't mind to
edit text files), the rest is ok with me

any more opinions? I'd be glad to make the better change for most users
(even if it means not doing any change)

	Regards