Re: [system-tools] removing the "more/fewer options" button

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 18:53 +0000, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> El mié, 07-07-2004 a las 13:01, Carlos Garnacho escribió:
> > Hi all :),
> >
> > I think it's time for a small poll :)
> >
> > I was working on adding help docs to the tools, but even removing the
> > "apply" button, the ammount of buttons at the bottom of the dialog is
> > too great (see [1]). So I was thinking about removing the "more/fewer
> > options" button (see [2]), my points are:
> >
> > - with good enough documentation noone should need to hide options
> > (although almost noone reads help docs :)
> > - advanced and basic dialogs don't differ too much currently, so I'm not
> > sure if they really help or if people turns on the advanced mode as soon
> > as they run the tools (as I do)...
> >

> I usually don't use the advanced mode, and people I have seen don't do
> it also. I think that the point is to think how many times you use the
> advanced configuration and if it is less that 10%, it is good to have
> all this options hided.

I agree that there are several options that should be hidden (if you
need to touch them, they're so advanced you won't mind to edit some text
files, but you're clearly a side case, i.e.: advanced PPP options) but
there are some things that aren't shown in the basic mode that I'd like
to keep, like:

- groups editing in the users tool
- several runlevels editing in services tool
- service priorities in SystemV based distros (I'd like to remove this,
but until we find a way to guess it, it should be shown)

maybe we should mix basic and advanced mode before hiding the button?

	Carlos