Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Thoughts about GST

Hi Dave! :-)

first of all, sorry for the delay, I had the (stupid?) belief that
people could give their opinion about things regarding GST like this, so
I waited before turning on the answering mode...

El jue, 16-10-2003 a las 02:36, Dave Malcolm escribió:
> A few thoughts about the GST:
>
> (i) Free System Tools
> Should they become the FST, rather than the GST?  IIRC, there's been
> some interest in creating KDE frontends to the GST, with a shared
> backend system (e.g. KNetworkConf).  IMHO this is a good thing.

in theory, the backends are already prepared, they are in a separate CVS
module called setup-tools-backends (which, IIRC, needs some CVS surgery
to work fine) and compile separately, providing a pkg-config file to
detect the backends. In fact, in a near future there should be
frontend/backend and backend releases, because (amongst other reasons)
you can configure through ssh, and may only want to have installed the
backends in the other side...

> Perhaps the XML formats used to store the info should be published at
> freedesktop.org in the hope of promoting them as a standard?

hmmm, I talked once with a developer (who worked in bluesock linux) who
worked on a KDE set of tools with the same structure than the GST
(obviously, not knowing that the GST existed...) and we agreed that
there should be an standard DTD for the configuration issues (we even
talked about making a BOF in the Hispalinux congress, celebrated in
Madrid, but due to lack of coordination, we couldn't :-/ )

We also talked about publishing such standard somewhere, but we both
thought that the configuration task is not desktop specific, so
freedesktop may not be the correct place...

> I hope this wouldn't be a political problem for getting the GST approved
> for inclusion in Gnome 2.6
>
> (ii) Use of Red Hat tools
> Is it worth taking the Red Hat system tools and forking them into the
> GST?   I believe they:
> 	(a) are written in Python
> 	(b) only support Red Hat
>
> However, I believe they're under the GPL, and the GUI is very nice.

yes, but they lack the frontend/backend structure, which is (IMHO :-P)
one of the great advantages of the GST... IIRC, they also use internally
things like kuzdu for guessing hardware, which isn't likely to be used
in the GST... :-/

> For example, there are really nice Apache, SMB and NFS configuration
> tools.
>
> David Malcolm

	Regards