[Setup-tool-hackers] Re: GNOME System Tools 0.29.0 "Where's myhack??" is out!

Hi Havoc!

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:07:52PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What about the earlier question about whether we can take the tools
> separately? I'd be in favor of including the network and time tools for

Independently of the tools that may be added to the desktop, I'd like to
propose all of them. And even then, I won't stop working on the
"refused" tools :-P

The main reason for packaging the tools altogether is because they have
a strong common component (ie: network and time backends need the
services backend for starting/stopping smbd and ntpd, or just
src/commom, used in all the frontends)

> sure, the users tool is maybe on the borderline (seems somewhat
> admin-oriented), the "services" and "boot loader" tools don't seem to be
> in the "charter" of GNOME (they seem like technical/geek tools only, not

just a side note, is so geek when an user wants to start/stop his/her
web server (not apache or whatever, just "web server") at boot time? the
services tool provide (as far as possible) user friendly descriptions

> end user desktop tools). Though I could imagine tools with some of the
> same functionality that would be end user oriented.

oh, I'm looking forward for hearing your feedback :)

> One note about the tools, they need the "de-branding" we did around
> 2.0/2.2 for the rest of the desktop (basically the title of the windows
> should be "Mouse Preferences" rather than "GNOME Mouse Preferences").
> redhat-config-* also follow this rule.

you're absolutely right, I'll fix it this evening

> Interestingly, we have a "System Tools" menu but it does not contain the
> equivalent of GNOME System Tools, which are in "System Settings"; this
> should probably be fixed up.
>
> Havoc

regards,
  Carlos