Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

El mar, 05-11-2002 a las 22:26, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo escribió:
>   As we talked at MadHack meeting, the first thing you should do is to
>   provide a way for GST to properly detect "unstable/testing", with an
>   easy way to change that to sarge when released.
>
>   For the record, I think that the best way to handle this is to start
>   developing for debian-sarge target in backends (if there's something
>   different from debian-woody), and tell me how to patch that so if GST
>   detects unstable/testing, I can say it to use sarge (I'll remove that
>   patch once debian_version file gets "sarge" as current version, which
>   happens some time before froze).
>
>   Another thing that must be fixed (I think it's reported in XST
>   bugzilla, but better look at Debian BTS) is that it fails to detect
>   Debian Woody when LSB package is installed. And the same will happen
>   with Debian Sarge.

right!! tomorrow I'll try to put up with these issues :-)

> > > I think Debian desktop distribution shoud use a PGI installer
> > > (http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/) for installation with automatic
> > > harware detection (PGI uses discover, mdetect and other debian tools for
> > > automatic hardware detection) and GNOME System Tools
> > > (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/) for configuration. In out country
> > > (Lithuania) we made beta version of user-friendly debian desktop, we are
> > > using PGI and Debian Configlets
> > > (http://hackers.progeny.com/configlets/), but Debian Configlets have
> > > many bugs and are integrated only with old gnome - 1.4. Gnome System
> > > Tools (old name - Ximian Setup Tools) are better and more user-friendly,
> > > they are already integrated with GNOME 2. Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
> > > <jsogo@debian.org> produced debian packages - see
> > > http://people.debian.org/~jsogo/gst/ . I think Gnome System Tools shoud
> > > be standart debian user-friendly configuration tools ASAP, see bug
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=161135
> > >

> > hmmm, I think there is a little problem with making GST the standard
> > user-friendly config tools for debian: debian isn't only Gnome, and GST
> > are currently Gnome based only (BTW the front-ends could be written
> > using any library)... this is an obstacle to beat.
>
>   But IMHO is easier to write a frontend in curses, for example, than
>   having to write the whole backends system.

That solution could be really cross-desktop :-D, but anyway I think GST
have many other priorities before writing other front-ends...

Esta parte del mensaje esta firmada digitalmente