Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:07:17PM +0100, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi Mantas,
>
> El mar, 05-11-2002 a las 10:24, Mantas Kriau?i?nas escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With this letter I would like to unite Progeny hackers with Gnome System
> > Tools hackers for Debian Desktop (and whole Linux Desktop) project.
>
> About a week ago I had a little conversation with Colin Walters (sorry
> for not posting this issue to the list...) about the future of GST in
> the debian desktop, it's one of the config tools candidates, but there
> are still many things to do before worrying about this. Obviously, I
> offered all the help we could provide to make GST a better candidate.

  As we talked at MadHack meeting, the first thing you should do is to
  provide a way for GST to properly detect "unstable/testing", with an
  easy way to change that to sarge when released.

  For the record, I think that the best way to handle this is to start
  developing for debian-sarge target in backends (if there's something
  different from debian-woody), and tell me how to patch that so if GST
  detects unstable/testing, I can say it to use sarge (I'll remove that
  patch once debian_version file gets "sarge" as current version, which
  happens some time before froze).

  Another thing that must be fixed (I think it's reported in XST
  bugzilla, but better look at Debian BTS) is that it fails to detect
  Debian Woody when LSB package is installed. And the same will happen
  with Debian Sarge.

> > I think Debian desktop distribution shoud use a PGI installer
> > (http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/) for installation with automatic
> > harware detection (PGI uses discover, mdetect and other debian tools for
> > automatic hardware detection) and GNOME System Tools
> > (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/) for configuration. In out country
> > (Lithuania) we made beta version of user-friendly debian desktop, we are
> > using PGI and Debian Configlets
> > (http://hackers.progeny.com/configlets/), but Debian Configlets have
> > many bugs and are integrated only with old gnome - 1.4. Gnome System
> > Tools (old name - Ximian Setup Tools) are better and more user-friendly,
> > they are already integrated with GNOME 2. Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
> > <jsogo@debian.org> produced debian packages - see
> > http://people.debian.org/~jsogo/gst/ . I think Gnome System Tools shoud
> > be standart debian user-friendly configuration tools ASAP, see bug
> >

> hmmm, I think there is a little problem with making GST the standard
> user-friendly config tools for debian: debian isn't only Gnome, and GST
> are currently Gnome based only (BTW the front-ends could be written
> using any library)... this is an obstacle to beat.

  But IMHO is easier to write a frontend in curses, for example, than
  having to write the whole backends system.

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org

PGP signature