Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] boot-admin error??

El sáb, 09-02-2002 a las 02:31, Joakim Ziegler escribió:

> Looking good, I have some suggestions, though:
>
> You shouldn't really need to show the priorities as numbers. They're
> really just a way of doing ordering when you don't have any other way to
> do it (a trick that works because ls lists them the right way, and it's
> easy for the init script to do it right). The best way to do it would be
> to just show the list sorted in the order things will start up, and have
> "up", "down", "top" and "bottom" buttons to move things around (or allow
> drag and drop, but then you'd have to use ETable).
>
> Also, kill and start are separate, and should probably be separated in
> some way.
>
> The tabs are problematic. I agree with Arturo saying that simple mode
> should only show the default runlevel, but perhaps the runlevels should
> be shown as a tree view in the same pane, instead of as several notebook
> tabs.

I agree with you. Using 7 ETables is neither efficient nor fast. I'll
try to do it with a ETree. Do you know where can I find documentation?

> How does the "add service" and "delete service" actions work? Delete
> should of course only remove the symlink, add should probably present a
> list of available init scripts (from /etc/init.d/) that you can symlink
> in. You might also want to have the option to disable things to, that
> is, not delete the symlink, but rather rename it so the name is prefixed
> with DISABLED or something. As far as I know, init does not run the
> script if it doesn't have the right name format (^[KS]\d{2}.*), so you
> can disable things this way and still know that they're there. In fact,
> this could be a replacement for Delete, because deleting things is not
> really useful (or maybe delete should just be in advanced mode). Then
> you can just have a column with a checkmark to say if this service is
> enabled or not.

I cannot see the functional difference between deleting and disabling,
but if you (you all) like the idea i'll do it.

> Additionally, you should have the option of starting, stopping,
> restarting, etc. the scripts. To achieve maximum flexibility, you can
> call each script with -? on startup, to get the list of options they
> support (all scripts give an easily parsed list of options inside of {}
> which you can split on |), and then have a mapping of known option names
> to actual button labels. Here's a partial list for that:
>
> start       Start
> stop        Stop
> restart     Restart
> reload      Reload Configuration
> condrestart Restart If Running
> status      Get Status (pop this up in a requester, perhaps?)

A good idea, but:

Do you talk about using XML to do this? I think that the backend should
be the only part in the program that treats with the configuration.

If we do not use the backend to do this, the frontend will be doing
things that the backend should do.

> What does Edit Service do?

nowadays nothing.

> Another very useful thing to have would be a list of known services and
> their descriptions, short and long descriptions, short ones to use in
> tooltips in the list, and long ones for a "What's this" type help
> button. I'll volunteer to write this list for you if you will implement
> it. In fact, it might also include a better name for the service than
> the script name, so the list becomes really friendly and nice.

That is a very good idea. I'll implement it. How do you send the list to
me?

	Carlos