Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Re: setup-tool-hackers digest, Vol 1 #50- 7 msgs

On 24 Jul 2001 18:01:50 -0400, Mitch Allmond wrote: > The problem with
 looking at a UI like that from windows, etc... is that you get closed
> minded in your creativity. Anyway, let me try to outline a little bit
 better of a UI > for the default mode and for the advanced mode.

Not all proprietary software has a bad UI though. My point was most
of the linux firewall software is pretty hard to use, and maybe there
are good ideas to be found if we look around a bit. Also, the only way
find out if a interface we design is good or not, is to test it with
a bunch of users. We just dont know what is easy and what is not,
because
we are technical users.

> Default(not advanced)
> ------------------------------------
> Services:            Eth0(internet):        Eth1(local lan):
>
> pop                                    -                                    +
> imap                                   -                                    +
> smtp                                   +                                    +
> http                                    +                                    +
> ftp                                        +                                    +
> telnet                                    -                                    +
> ssh                                        +                                    +
> talk                                        -                                    +
> X11                                       -                                     +
> etc....
> port  967                            +                                       +
> port ____
> port ____
> port ____

There are users who dont know what "pop" or "X11" means, so it needs
to be simplified. Also, novice users most likely dont need to care about
letting incoming POP or X11 work, but many want to have working Telnet.
They just dont know they really want SSH instead.

Then there are advanced users who want to have more control over the
issue.

> __ Create Virtual Ips for Eth1(lan) (default 192.168.0.0)

Lan can also be eth0 of course, depending on the configuration. But that
was
just nitpicking.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert@ximian.com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::