Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] archiver gui

On 08 Jan 2001 15:39:46 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Okay, sounds good. I'll do a simpler one. Is the location management UI
> > too complicated also?
>
> location management is still an open topic for debate.  I am not sure
> I like the way it is currently limited.  I think that we should not
> even support location management until we have done a good job at
> doing this.

I had some ideas on how to remove the existing limitations without
affecting the current design too too much. The basic idea is to use
Michael Meeks' XML node merging code to allow derived locations to
include only partially archived configurations. I have a few details to
work out though. I'll come up with a more concrete proposal when I am
ready.

> technical details: I think we should do everything automatically for
> the user, compute differences between the location definitions, and
> then render this difference in a textual format.

I'm not quite sure I understand: do you mean we should have the location
manager automagically determine what backends differ from location to
location? That sounds a bit hard, unless we have a really nice way of
allowing the user to specify details about a particular location.

> Miguel.

-Bradford Hovinen

We are most probably here for local information-gathering and
local-Universe problem-solving in support of the integrity of
eternally regenerative Universe.

   -- R. Buckminster Fuller