Report, 20010109

Miguel asked if I could Cc my reports to the list, so here's a copy of
today's.

----- Forwarded message from Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@helixcode.com> -----

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:11:59 +0100
From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@helixcode.com>
To: miguel@helixcode.com
Subject: Report, 20010109

Since friday, I've:

- Added system service control functions to the shared backend code. These
  functions allow backends to enable, disable and restart system services
  (mostly daemons), like samba and ntp without a lot of code and error
  checking. The functions are made so that enabling/disabling has a permanent
  effect on SysV systems with init.d/rc.d scripts. They are still able to
  handle non-SysV cases (through locating and running binaries with provided
  switches), but not on a permanent basis.

- Changed all backends that need it, to use above mentioned functions instead
  of local hacks.

- Fixed a segfault case in the time-admin frontend (the one I mentioned on
  the list).

- Made the frontend progress/report windows and associated functions generic,
  so they can be reused under different circumstances.

- Implemented visible progress/report when applying changes from the
  frontends. The behaviours when loading and saving system config are now
  symmetrical.

- Stepped up my end of the peer communications.

- Watched a lunar eclipse.

--
Hans Petter

----- End forwarded message -----